

and some biking up near Nicky's parents in Aberdeenshire. Nicky particularly enjoyed pushing her bike up Clachnaben

only to be confronted with a "Granny-stepped" descent that was a bit too technical for her to ride. I managed to get down most of it - although not without a couple of head-first dismounts and subsequent tumbles down the slope at the side of the path! It was lovely to do a big ride with no tarmac and the views were great.
After the ridiculous temperatures recently that were more suitable for drinking beers in the sun than crushing on the grit, I was pleased to wake up yesterday to a frozen bird bath and frost on the cars outside - a sure sign conditions would be good. As I'd not been climbing for months I thought a trip to somewhere new would be better than failing to do all my favourite warm-ups at the Cliff so I went to Hunter's Stones near Otley. I'd forgotten how rough the grit is here and my skin is so soft after no climbing (and no dosing with 100% ethanol in the lab) that I knew it would have to be a quick session.
I did a nice 6C arete (Mnemonic) in a few goes and then looked at Orion on the side of the big roof but the landing was a bit awkward without a spot so I wandered into the woods to see if the X wall was dry. It was and so I had a look at the left arete of this wall - By hook or by crook - which is 6C+/7A from standing. This looks totally desperate and until I worked out where the crucial heel hook suggested by the name went - I couldn't make any progress. Once I worked this out the next go I was set up to throw for the top but didn't really commit. I climbed over the top to check out what to throw for and the next go it was in the bag.

I thought about trying the sitter but my fingers were already starting to show the strain of pulling on the sharp crimps on this block so I sacked it and went home.

I got back to discover on checking my e-mails that the wrangling with the typesetters was over and my paper that I spent so much of last winter writing has been published. I'm really pleased about this as it's taken up so much of my life for the last 4 years and so it's a great feeling to know it's finally finished - although obviously nothing like as satisfying as latching that pocket on the keel ;-)
Good to have you back Huw.
ReplyDeleteThat arete looked impossible when i first saw it so well done! Fancy some boudlerising this weekend/ week as i'm on holiday!.
Also email Ali about font
Yep up for climbing tomorrow - looks like it should be cold - will give you a call in the morning.
ReplyDelete