
Unfortunately my brakes needed some attention as by the end the front brake lever would pull to the bars without any contact between the pads and disc. I spent a couple of hours on Monday afternoon with syringes full of brake fluid getting them bled properly so they felt solid again. Even with a new sequence meaning each end only took one go it still took twice as long to bleed 2 disc brakes as it took me to change the oil, oil filter, air filter and diesel filter on my car that evening.
After a hot and greasy couple of hours bouldering at Snowden Crag last night with Matt I thought it really was too hot for climbing so decided to go out on my bike today. I started in a lay-by off the B6160 near Bolton Abbey, rode down the road into Addingham, then out up a minor road and then off-road towards Skipton.

I planned to avoid the busy B6265 to Rylstone by going over Sharp Haw and up some quieter back roads, which meant all the height lost descending into Skipton (which was great - rocky and rooty) had to be regained before going over Sharp Haw.

It looked much worse than it was.

The bridleway doesn't go to the top of Sharp Haw but for some reason the track I followed did. The view across to Rylstone (the next climb) was great.

The descent to Flasby was good and not too boggy and the roads to Rylstone were quiet - the few minutes along the B6265 confirmed that avoiding it was a good plan!
The climb up onto Barden moor wasn't as bad as it looked and was all ridable (apart from when I had to push past some sheep who kept zig-zagging in front of where I was trying to ride).

Then it was (sort of all) downhill to Halton Height with views back to Rylstone

and across to Simon's seat.

A bit of invisible bridleway meant it took a bit longer to find the gate (that was unlocked and didn't have PRIVATE signs on) into the woods above Bolton Abbey than it should have but I was soon back to the road.

A quick spin down to return to my car 4 1/2 hours after I left. I got back to Burley just as it started pissing it down which seemed like great timing until I remembered I had to wash my bike. A meal and a couple of pints in a pub in Otley finished off the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment