Wednesday, 16 February 2011

Wednesday at a Wet Widdop

It was super-sunny this morning and instead of taking the sensible option and heading to Almscliff I drove over to Widdop. The amount of green visible on the boulders didn't look promising on the walk-in but I pressed on anyhow. Amazingly the holds on Fight on the Black were dry-ish and so I pulled on. After I remembered the sequence and how exactly to hold the start handholds I hit the break a few times but failed to stick it. I should have perhaps noticed that every time I failed to hold the break all the chalk on my left hand tips was gone. After a bit I climbed up the back and negotiated the green slime on top of the boulder to clamber down to see the break. When I put chalk on the hold it looked OK but as soon as I gave it some brush-on-a-stick action the chalk got wet. Optimistically I dabbed a chalky hand on it a couple of times and went down for another go.

This time I stuck the break but when I moved my other hand up to match it I realised that the only semi-dry bit of the hold was under my left hand. My right was covered in slime and so there was no option but to drop off. Very frustrating as if the break was dry I'd have topped it out and not have to drive all the way over to Widdop to fall of the same holds another time!

You can see the damp patches from my finger-tips in the overly chalky break here:

So near and yet so far

No comments:

Post a Comment