I got to Widdop and conditions were perfect, sunny but with a breeze to keep the temperatures down.

Fight on the Black both had chalk on and was still in the shade. After a few easy problems to warm up I pulled on. First go I held the break and put my hand up to match. This wasn't as greasy as last time but still didn't feel great so I dropped my hand back down and moved my foot up. As I rocked onto my right foot I realised the next hold was a bit further away than I thought and so I only just got my finger-tips onto it. Fighting the panic that I was going to blow it I bumped my hand up shedding lots of skin and an exciting top-out later it was dispatched. No self timer glory shots I'm afraid - just this arty pic of the starting hand-hold.

I then wasn't sure what to do but the sunny boulders on the opposite side of the valley looked lovely so I slogged up there with 2 pads. I did a couple of nice roof problems, wandered along to look at Last Boy Scout which looks great but is pretty high with a not-great landing - definitely not a good place to fall off on your own! I staggered further to Boggy's Roof which looked good but hard and then saw Dove Stones in the distance. This was too appealing to ignore as there's an amazing picture of this 7A overhanging prow in the new bouldering guide.
10 minutes of bog trotting later I was regretting not having spare shoes and socks in the car and a bit later I got to the crag. The prow, Pro Diablo, was as amazing as it looked with big moves between large edges. After working out a crafty heelhook I quickly got it done and then all that was left was the long slog through the tussocks and heather back to the car.
No comments:
Post a Comment